Home - Community   

Forums | Search | Index Login | Register  

Lea Hmmm...
Scurvy Sea Horse
gles38305@yahoo.com
11357 posts

Posted at 10:47 am on Apr 5, 2012

The first thing that comes to my mind is the fact that you have recently told us that you are gonna give her an list (long list:) of books to choose from to read for literature for her highschool years.

I'd ask her if she would prefer this method of studying literature *or* would she rather have every book dictated?

Does she want to read classics *or* does she want to have some non-classics thrown in through the year?

Last week, I had lunch with a friend and her dd and dd's friend that I also know very well. These two girls are seniors at a very rigorous college prep school. They got to meet us for a long lunch break that day, but were heading back to school for Senior English that afternoon. They had heard that day's in class assignment was to find *99* themes (yes, I said 99!!) in the current book they had been assigned to read, which was A Time to Kill by John Grisham.

I expressed my shock that they were not reading classics. The mom said that at the beginning of the year when the parents met the teachers, this teacher said that she includes a few non-classics that are easier each year for the sake of the students who aren't "into" the classics and harder reading. What???? And this is a private PREP school!

This message has been edited 1 time(s).

Greta Lea:)

Other messages in this thread: