Home - Community   

Forums | Search | Index Login | Register  

juditupp Here's a couple of thoughts.

Capt. Lookatmy Broadside
14099 posts

Posted at 5:18 pm on Apr 9, 2012

For the 8th grader I would just get him ready for high school level material in math and English. For science I'd start him with a 9th grade type curriculum (perhaps Apologia physical science or something like that) right now and just go slow. The goal would be to finish it when he is finished with 9th grade. By starting now he can take it at a slower pace. I'd try to do the same thing with social studies. Decide what you want to cover in that area each of his 4 years of high school and have him start his 9th grade stuff now but go slow.
For the 4th grader I would just keep her working at her pace. Even working essentially on their own my dc covered about 1 1/2 years of Math U See in 1 year starting in about 5th grade. She's still young. If you work consistently starting now she'll be caught up in no time. As for specific subject areas like Govt and Science. Those subjects are covered at different times from place to place. There isn't a right amount of knowledge to have at 4th grade. I'd just cover something age appropriate in Science and History each year. This is the age when covering those subjects should be more about learning to love learning and less about "getting it all in".
For both of them, focus less on test results and more on consistent improvement and progress in their basic skills.

It is poverty for a child to die so that we may live as we wish.

Other messages in this thread: