Home - Community   

Forums | Search | Index Login | Register  

Sherry Bowlsby Hmmmm...
Capt. Lookatmy Broadside
14099 posts

Posted at 8:02 am on Apr 21, 2012

Some of the parts are physical. If you had two students, they could march at the same time. You could take turns throwing the bean bags. Throw and return w/child A. Throw and return w/child B.
But, as for the table work, NO. It would really need to be done one on one.
The other issue would be not having enough blocks for two students. Zach needed a second box of blocks! A friend of mine had the program and she let us use her box of blocks.
Each hour is **slightly** different because one of the activities is done every-other. But, for the most part... yep. The same thing repeated five times. Each time taking an hour. Part of it is physical: marching, running through shoe boxes, tossing bean bags and crumpling paper. Then, the grueling part is the long, long sequences of blocks or block cards. The child is **really** concentrating. There are also some other activities that aren't readily coming to mind.
The program can be done from start to finish in one hour. It does not HAVE to be done five hours a day. We were combining several therapies at the same time: earobics, metrenome (sp?-I can not vouch for whether or not this program made any difference; it is controversial. A friend had it and offered it to us, so why not?), Sensory Integration Therapy done both with a paid therapist (some private, some group) and also done at home.
Michaela went to public school that year and Kyle and I each did every-other hour with him. He would do Audiblox. Take a "break" from that and do some SI work (which is essentially play). He would do some earobics. Then, he might do metrenome while tramping (jumping on a small trampoline). Then, back to Audiblox. He also wore weighted clothes. So, it was a pretty intense time. He had "moment" awards (skittles or popcorn), a daily award and then some longer term awards.
During this time this is ALL we did. We did this for a six month period. (We started as soon as I heard about the program. We ended a couple weeks before Michaela's last day of school). I video taped him at the beginning and several times throughout the program to determine when to stop. Then, he was re-evaluated by professionals to make sure he really had made the progress I felt like I was seeing.
When Zach began the program, he was LEGALLY deaf. When Zach ended the program, he was no longer! He still had a very big language LD. (Studies indicate boys who are deaf do not readily make up for "lost time" the way females do, when hearing is restored). However, he began talking for himself. (Michaela had pretty much been communicating for him).

This message has been edited 3 time(s).

Other messages in this thread: