Home - Community   

Forums | Search | Index Login | Register  

IdaMay grade points ave does not equate SAT scores
Capt. Lookatmy Broadside
14099 posts

Posted at 1:55 pm on May 4, 2012

"graduating with an A average and SATs at 500 in each section"

Some of those with high high averages for classes do not test well and therefore their SAT scores would not be as high. Others whose Sats scores would be in the 500's work hard each and every day and fulfill all the requirements for getting A's in their classes. There could be various reasons for differences in scores and grade point averages.

When I was in high school, I did not take those higher, upper level math courses. My eldest sister did. Our college entrance scores in math were not that far apart. umm she took cal and Trig each as full courses. Yes, her score showed she knew math very well. I guess mine showed I understood math and could guess well. I scored higher than anyone else in our group [besides I did not copy answers] The answer choices just looked right to me, even on areas of math that I had never seen before that test day. I did Al 1 and Geometry. My gpa was not what hers was and I did not take the courses she did. Math was easy for me and I 'should' have had the chance to take some of those upper courses. My testing scores did not mesh with my course load or my gpa from high school. It was a different day [schools were different than most are today].

I know you know much about these topics. I am just sharing personal experience. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

I think that there are many ps across the country that are vastly different than the school system you have there. It is good to hear about how some ps school systems deal with grading.

You are right most home school parents are not as firm in their grading, as you have described.

I can only teach you; you must educate yourself.

Other messages in this thread: