Home - Community   

Forums | Search | Index Login | Register  

Holly Teachers don't grade their own essay assignments?
Blithe Bonny Boatswain
6589 posts

Posted at 3:59 pm on May 4, 2012

Wow, that is sad. How do they know where their students are lacking/missing/excelling? How do you individualize instruction if you have no idea of what the individual is thinking? That is a very weird concept to me, teachers who don't evaluate their own. I hope they earn a reduced pay since the evaluation and feedback is such a large part of teaching!

Having contended with parents when I taught in the system, though, I understand why systems might be driven to such a response. I have clear memories of a group of junior boys' parents who were livid, LIVID that I gave their smart children Cs! We actually had a huge meeting about it--all the boys who worked together, their parents, head of guidance and lil ole me. It didn't matter to them, at all, that the kids had had the rubric since Day 1 of the project and chose to center all their attention on a section that only earned 20 points. Of course, that was the fun, creative video and the boys pretty much ignored the more scholarly research/essay that was required. The parents thought I should award them an A anyway because the video was so well done. Um, no. I laugh now wondering what all these 40 year old professionals thought of a 23 year old first year teacher telling them, no, your kid didn't do the assignment and it was clear and the rubric broken down point by point and I'm not adjusting their grades just because the fun part they did was done really well.

But I digress...

Maybe merit committees actually award the merit scholarships differently for home schoolers, but there is no differentiation mentioned when I look online at the schools my kid is interested in. I find it weird that they would consider a homeschool GPA so heavily, but maybe they really don't in actual committee meetings.

Anyway, we have the opposite problem here. I am not much of a grader, I evaluate more than grade, but to me an A is showing adult, college-educated level mastery. So while my kid has a 4.0 at college, he probably wouldn't here in our homeschool in some subjects. However, he would be a top student at our local high school and I see that 25% have a 3.7 or above there. (1000 kids take 1800 AP tests there every year and 84% score 3 or higher).

So, not sure what I'll do about his homeschool GPA. I may just make a transcript with a unique "grade" like "Mastery", drop off any GPA and submit his college transcript as his GPA. Not sure, good thing I have some time to think about it.

This message has been edited 3 time(s).

Blessings,
Holly
http://fromdiaperstodriversed.blogspot.com/

Other messages in this thread: