Home - Community   

Forums | Search | Index Login | Register  

Jeanette Indian Pilau Rice

Capt. Lookatmy Broadside
14099 posts

Posted at 8:01 pm on Apr 10, 2008

This is from a new cookbook I bought at Costco: *Healthy Indian Cooking*. This rice is delicious. It is brightly colored and would make a good potluck or company side dish.

Indian Pilau Rice

Serves 4
1 1/4 C Basmati Rice
1 TBL oil
1 sm onion, finally chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 TBL Sesame seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp salt
2 whole cloves
4 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
5 black peppercorns
1 3/4 C chicken stock
cilantro to garnish

Wash the rice well and leave to soak in water for 30 min. Heat the oil in a heavy-based saucepan, add the onion and garlic and fry gently for 5-6 min until softened.

Stir in the fennel and sesame seeds, and turmeric, cumin, salt, cloves, cardamom pods and peppercorns and fry for about a minute. Drain the rice well, add to the pan and stir-fry for a further 3 min.

Pour on the chicken stock. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce the heat to very low and simmer gently for 20 min, without removing the lid, until all the liquid has been absorbed.

Remove from the heat and leave to stand for 2-3 min. Fork up the rice, garnish with cilantro and transfer to a warmed dish to serve.

My note:
It is important to use Basmati rice in this dish. You may be tempted to sub with regular long grain, but don't.

Cardamom pods can be hard to find and expensive when you do find them. I have to admit that I subbed in about 1/8 tsp of ground cardamom. I suspect I could find the pods at our local Asian market, but haven't got round to checking.

Update to notes:

Since I first posted this I have gone to an Indian Market. They had all the seasonings that I could not easily find at a regular market and for a good deal less money too.

Integrity does right even when it feels wrong.

Other messages in this thread: